Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Weekly Savings Tip: April 12, 2010

April 15th is Fast Approaching!

Your 2009 federal and state tax returns should be submitted by this Thursday— April 15th. Whether you owe no money to the IRS, expect a refund or even if you can't pay your tax bill in full—you must still file a tax return by April 15th. If you don't, you could face a penalty for filing late. Additionally, if you owe taxes, you will be assessed penalties for underpayment.
What if you cannot afford to pay your taxes? If your return is complete but you are unable to pay the full amount due, do not request an extension. File your return on time and pay as much as you can. The IRS will send you a bill or notice for the balance due. You can also apply for an installment payment plan or file Form 9465 with your return.
What if you cannot complete your return in time? If you cannot file your income tax return by April 15th, both the IRS and states allow you to extend your filing deadline by six months. However, this is an extension to file your return, not an extension to pay the taxes that you owe. You are still required to estimate and pay the tax that you will owe, otherwise you could be assessed penalties and monthly interested.

For more information on filing an extension on your tax return, visit the IRS website.
Visit Feed the Pig for more money-saving tips.

1 comment:

  1. I think that April 15 sucks. I thank for the advice, since I always owe. It is good to know that I can pay the government back in installments.